Tuesday, November 2, 2010

cabin continued

We had so much fun at Daniel's cabin this past weekend. We went up there on Friday and Saturday to celebrate mine and Emma's birthdays! That reminds me - I think I forgot to mention that I turned 21 on October 27th! Wahoo!


Anyway. The cabin is up on Pine Mountain, which is just past Oakley. Pine mountain has this darling "community" of cabins. I loved looking at all the different shapes and sizes. My family has never had a cabin, so it's always a novelty for me to go up there.

We did the classic cabin stuff. There was a lot of snacking, chatting, movie-watching, sleeping, and guitar playing. I always forget how good John and Daniel are at playing the guitar.






Oh, and we also cooked!! We made spaghetti, chicken, peas, and rolls for dinner, and breakfast the next morning was bacon, eggs, oatmeal, and toast. Yum yum!




This trip to the cabin also marked my very first four-wheeling adventure! It was so much fun!!



We drove on the trails winding around the cabins until we'd pretty much gone around them all. We ran into a really steep trail that led up to a ridge above all of the cabins, and of course Daniel and John had to drive up it. I was pretty sure that the ATVs were going to tip over backward, but I think I was just being paranoid. But I did have a reason to fret when we ran into the pine tree that had fallen right across our trail.


Let me set this up for you. So the trail was pretty narrow - wide enough for one ATV but not two. This made it so we couldn't turn around at all. On the left was pretty much a mountain, and on the right was one of those terrifying death-drops that you see in the movies. (Okay, maybe not that bad, but it was definitely something I didn't want to fall off of). When we first saw the tree, my fabulous husband decided he was going to drive OVER it. Not his best thought, and I'm sure I told him so. Next, John and Daniel decided they were going to pick the tree up and move it. This did not actually go so well. The final plan was to pull off the branches on the skinniest part of the tree (the top) and pile snow over it so we could drive across. Emma and I were not so convinced that this was a good idea. Why, you ask? Well, because the skinny part of the tree happened to be perilously close to the movie-style death drop!!

dun dun dun...

We love our husbands to death, but Emma and I were not about to be on the ATVs when the guys drove over the tree, so we walked across first. Watching the ATVs tip as the wheels went over the trunk was about all I could take. I thought for sure one of them was going to roll down the mountain. Luckily, we were all just fine. That is, until we ran into ANOTHER fallen pine tree not 30 feet down the same trail.

*sigh*

After we got over the second hurdle, there wasn't much more excitement except for Emma losing her glasses in a giant mud puddle. The ride was really relaxing. I couldn't believe how beautiful the mountains were. We saw some gorgeous views, but we all agreed that pictures just couldn't do it justice.

1 comment:

  1. Sooooo... you're basically beautiful. And the post right after this one made me LOL so freaking hard because that little girl is hilarious. Its what I look like every morning in the mirror.

    But anyways.

    Along with that adorable gray skirt that you were wearing on Sunday, could you also will that adorable gray sweater that you're wearing in these first pictures to me? Would that be possible? Perhaps?

    I cannot even. (<-- BAM.)

    And thank you for commenting on my lame blog. Especially on the hockey ones. You are def going with me to a Colorado game if we can get one. Dun even worry.

    I love you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

You might also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...