Thursday, January 20, 2011

locked.

Sorry it's taken me so long to update! We are alive and well, I promise. There's been a lot going on lately too, so get excited.

Have you ever heard the saying..."when it rains, it pours?" Well, I am here to tell you that that statement is totally and completely accurate. Because we are living it. For reals.

A few examples from the past week or so:

For one of my classes, I had to get FORTY-FIVE FEET of paper laminated. Ridiculous. And then, if that isn't enough, I had to cut out the tiny little cards that were on each page. Did I mention there were 120 pages? And that there were 12 cards on each page? I think I have developed carpal tunnel.

I also came down with some sort of flu/food poisoning. It was not a happy night.

In addition, I forgot to refill a rather important prescription until the pharmacy I usually go to was closed. After driving around to a few different pharmacies to see if anyone could transfer it or had some samples, I turned up empty handed. Oh, and to make matters worse, the pharmacist at one of the pharmacies happened to be a previous boyfriend's older sister. Talk about embarrassing.

Here is probably my favorite story of the week.

It was about 10:30 this morning, and I decided I was going to do a load of laundry. Our laundry room is shared between the four units in our building and it's right outside our door. I hadn't showered yet, and I was wearing some scrubs, a t-shirt, and slippers. Anyway, as I was walking out the door, I noticed that Daniel had locked the deadbolt and everything when he left this morning. I remember thinking that was really sweet of him since I was still sleeping when he left. 

So I put the laundry in the washer and headed back to my apartment. I turned to knob on the door but to my absolute horror, it wouldn't open. I couldn't believe it. As I was thinking about Daniel locking the door for me this morning, I had locked myself out without realizing it. And I didn't have a key to get back in. I didn't have my phone, or a jacket, or a key to my car either. I had absolutely nothing except my laundry soap and a key to the laundry room. Great.

My first thought was just to trot on over to our apartment managers and ask them for the spare key that they keep to our apartment. Only they weren't home. I rang the doorbell 3 times. I even went and checked their parking stalls to see if their cars were there. They weren't. I'd like to say that I didn't try to peek in their windows to make sure they were gone, but I did.

My next move was to try and break into our apartment through one of the windows (I probably looked like a total sketchy as I was doing this). I managed to get the screen off of one of the windows, but I could not push the window open for the life of me. I tried until I was half frozen and had mud all over my slippers, but I had no choice but to retreat back to the laundry room to consider my other options.

I didn't have a credit card to try and get the lock open on the door (not that I know how to do that anyway, but I've seen it in movies) so I was about out of ideas. Eventually I decided that somehow I needed to call Daniel. He was at work, so I wasn't even sure that he would be able to leave to come and rescue me, but it was pretty much my only option at this point.

I want to preface this next part by saying that I do not really know my neighbors. I have said "hi" to them a couple of times as we came and went, but that's pretty much it. But I stalked the parking stalls for our building and noticed that the guy's car from apartment 16 was still in the stall. I got brave, and knocked on his door. Pretty sure he stared at me through the peephole for like 30 seconds before he opened it, but he was kind enough to let me use his phone to call D. I had to leave a message because he didn't answer (on the third try...) so I went and sat on the stairs outside and waited.  My poor neighbor poked his head out of the door a few minutes later to hand me his phone. Daniel was on his way to rescue me!

By the time he got home I had been locked out for well over an hour. I was freezing, bored out of my mind, and probably more embarrassed than I have been in a long time. D found me hiding in the laundry room. He just looked at me and laughed. In a kind, non-judgmental way, of course.

Sorry that I have absolutely no pictures to show for our adventures this week. In my defense, I didn't think to bring my camera when I locked myself out of our apartment. But I will try to do better on the picture thing in the future.

I guess the moral of the story is...keep your keys with you at all times. Or at least your phone so that you don't creep out neighbors that hardly even know who you are.

XO,

M

2 comments:

Thanks for leaving a comment!

You might also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...